In today’s situation, when Covid-19 is spreading gruesomely, and humankind is getting locked in their home, the immunity is the only weapon we do have to fight with this problem.
Diseases like Diabetes, High blood pressure Cardiovascular disease, and Respiratory Problem where risk are higher to get a strike of Coronavirus, we can prevent it by taking precautionary steps on our food intake such as :
Low Carb Diet helps to maintain and control blood pressure and Sugar level. Researcher William S. Yancy, Jr., MD, an associate professor of medicine at Duke University Medical Center, says in a news release. “If people have high blood pressure a low-carbohydrate diet might be a better option.”
Protein-rich food like Lean meat, poultry, Homemade cheese, nuts, pulses make you fit and grow and daily consumption of fruits and vegetables, which are a good source of Beta Carotene and Antioxidant that play a significant role for your health. Vitamins and Minerals are required in an adequate amount to keep your body fit and protect against diseases. You get the vitamins and minerals through vegetables, fruits, Water, nut, seeds, vegetable oil, Meat, Poultry, etc. These are the examples of the sources to strengthen our immunity, and we can take multivitamins supplements only if your doctor suggests.
Ayush Mantralaya of India has suggested some guidelines in this pandemic period for public health and safety to uplift the immunity you can do in the comfort of your home.
- We should consume warm water daily.
- Yogasana, Pranayama, and Meditation Practice for at least 30 min a day help improve your immunity.
- Raw spices like Haldi (Turmeric), Jeera (Cumin), Dhaniya(Coriander), Lahsun(Garlic) is recommended use in daily cooking.
Ayurvedic Immunity Promoting Measure
- Chavanprash, an ayurvedic health supplement, is considered an immunity booster and aids the body in producing red blood cells and hemoglobin. We should take 10 gm (1 tablespoon) every morning. People with diabetes should take Sugar-free chavanprash.
- Herbal Tea or Kadha prepare with tulsi (basil), Dalchini(Cinnamon), Kalimirch(black pepper), Shunthi (Dry ginger), Munaka( Raisin) once or twice a day. You can add jaggery and raw lemon juice to taste.
- Benefits of turmeric milk known to everyone: You should have at least one hot glass of milk mix with 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder daily.
Simple Ayurvedic Procedures
- Nasal Application- Apply Sesame oil, Coconut oil, or ghee in both the nostrils (Pratimarsh Nasaya) in the morning and evening.
- Oil Pulling Therapy- take one tablespoon Coconut oil and Sesame seeds oil in the mouth. Swish in the mouth for 2 -3 minutes, spit it off, and rinse with warm water twice a day.
During dry cough /sore throat
- Steam inhalation with fresh Pudina (mint) leaves or Ajwain (Caraway seeds) can be practiced once.
- Lavang(Clove) Powder mixed with natural sugar/ honey can be taken 2-3 times a day in case of cough or throat irritation.
- These measures generally treat normal dry cough and sore throat. Consult a doctor if the problem persists.
These are the essential points mentioned by the Ministry of Ayush that will definitely be going to help but always opt the best that suits your body type, other then that please follow the social distancing and hygiene. Take care of yourself and your dear one, Stay Safe and happy.
Lifestyle Tips (Dinacharya) For Boosting Immunity
- Early Morning Regime (4.30am to 8.30am)
- Wake up between 4:30 – 5:00 in the morning or 45 minutes before sunrise.
- Drink 1-3 glasses of warm water
- Gandusha / Kavala (Oil Pulling) 1 tablespoon of sesame or coconut oil for Kavala followed by warm water rinse.
- Gargle with warm water added with a pinch of turmeric and salt, Triphala, and Yashtimadhu. ShuddhaTankana (2% aqueous solution), Madhoodaka (5% aqeuous solution) also can be used for Kavala graha.
- Nasal Health – Pratimarsha Nasya (2 drops of sesame / coconut oil each nostril).
- Daily practice of Yogasana, Pranayama and meditation for at least 30 minutes as advised
by Ministry of AYUSH
- Warm water bath
After Noon Regimen
- Don’t sleep during the daytime
- Involve in Work from Home/Indoor recreational activities like Studies,
Reading, Painting, Gardening, Playing-listening Music, Social Media etc.
- Meditation / Pranayama – 30 minutes
- Indoor Recreational Activities
- Eat only when hungry, in the appropriate amount according to the digestive power
(Neither too less nor more).
- Always take a fresh & warm diet.
- Eat easily digestible foods.
- Eat a night meal 3 hours after sunset or till 8 pm.
- Sleep atleast 2-3 hours after dinner. Adequate sleep is very important for heal